Are you ready to take on the expanded scope of responsibilities an advanced care paramedic can provide? Do you want to broaden your skill set so you can offer greater care to your patients—and be of more value to your employer?
These days, more is being required of advanced care paramedics. This one-year program will build on what you know as a primary care paramedic and prepare you to play an increased role as a first responder in Canada’s healthcare system. Your training will cover it all, from operational and procedural skills, to the skills you need to make critical and sound decisions in an emergency environment. Plus you’ll enhance your verbal and written communications skills, interpersonal skills, and leadership skills—and learn more about how to maintain a healthy lifestyle for your own well-being.
Then you’ll take the theory into the field with two hospital clinical rotations and one on-the-job placement. The sites of this training may be located off-island, so you should budget for this additional travel and accommodation.
The Advanced Care Paramedicine program delivered by Holland College is accredited by the Canadian Medical Association (CMA).
The CMA believes that relevant educational preparation is critical to ensuring competent health professionals who can contribute to effective and safe patient care as a member of the health care team. CMA accreditation signifies that the Advanced Care Paramedicine program has met national standards and that the education provided is relevant to current clinical practice. Ensuring that Paramedics have the required competencies for entry to practice is an important contribution to Canada’s health human resources. Graduates from accredited Paramedicine programs have met competency standards as reflected in the Paramedic Association of Canada’s National Occupational Competency Profile.Visit www.cma.ca/accredit. Graduates from an accredited Paramedicine program are also eligible to write the National Exam for Paramedics in Canada. Successful completing of the exam is required for Paramedic Registration in many Provinces in Canada including Prince Edward Island.
|Location:||Prince of Wales Campus|
|Credential Issued:||Post Graduate Certificate, Advanced Care Paramedic|
|Minimum passing grade per course:
- Graduation from a CMA accredited 2-year Canadian Primary Care Paramedicine program or equivalent
- Criminal Records Check (CRC) and Vulnerable Sector Verification (VSV) with no findings of guilt
- Completion of three reference forms, one from the ACP or PCP field
- Completion of Holland College medical form
- Current CPR – Basic Rescuer Level C certificate from a recognized First Aid/CPR Trainer
- Completion of Immunization Verification Form The completed form is not required until after an applicant has been accepted. (Please keep a copy for your records.)
- Valid Class 4 driver’s license
- Resumé including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program
Graduates from this program may find employment with:
- Ground Ambulance
- Industrial First Aid
- Recreation and sports facilities
- Emergency medical education
- Medical supply sales
- Emergency departments
- Air ambulance
- Communication centres
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted reference on occupations in Canada. It organizes over 40,000 job titles into 500 occupational group descriptions. It is used daily by thousands of people to compile, analyze and communicate information about occupations, and to understand the jobs found throughout Canada’s labour market. This program provides skills training that falls within the duties described in the following: NOC 3234.
Interested in taking a credit course but don’t want to register for an entire program? Credit courses provide credit toward a diploma or certificate program. Holland College has a variety of options for studying part time during the day, or, in some instances, in the evening or on the weekend.
Tuition & Fees
If you have any questions concerning the Advanced Care Paramedicine program, contact: